Fresh and hot-out-of-the-oven Mozzarella Sticks definitely top our list of favourite comfort foods. And it tops the list of favourite finger foods for our kids as well. All the kids love them and they never disappoint.
We’ve been testing different low carb keto Mozzarella sticks for a while. It took a few different combinations to get just the right crunch. We tried a few different types of cheese as well as a few different ingredients for the ‘breading’.
Made with mozzarella cheese strings, coated in pork rinds ‘breadcrumbs’, and baked (not fried) to perfection. We often make these for a quick snack and they work really for a tasty appetizer as well. Although, you will want to serve these hot and right out of the oven because, once starting to cool, the cheese will harden fast.
Pro Tip: these Mozzarella sticks taste best when baked frozen. If the cheese is too warm before you put it in the oven, you’ll end up with a pile of melted cheese. Make this recipe ahead of time and keep a stockpile in your freezer. Let them freeze initially on a baking sheet with wax paper, then when are fully frozen transfer them to zip lock bags in the desired quantities.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||8 minutes|
- 1 package Mozzarella cheese strings, cut in half
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups pork rinds
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- Cut Mozzarella sticks in half and set aside.
- Crack egg into a small shallow dish and wisk.
- Crush pork rinds into fine crumbs. Should equal about 1/2 cup pork rinds.
- Mix parmesan, crushed prok rinds, and itlaian seasoning in a shalllow dish.
- Dip Mozzarella stick into egg mixture then into crumb mixture. Repeat this twice or until mozzarella stick is fully coated.
- Dip all mozzarella sticks as above and place on a baking sheet with wax paper to be frozen.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease the baking sheet.
- Place frozen Mozzarella sticks directly from freezer onto the pan.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or just until the coating is lightly browned and cheese is warm and soft.
- Serve immediately.
They are really good