This cheesy, creamy zucchini alfredo will be a family favorite in no time. It’s herb and garlic flavors are topped off perfectly with fresh cheese and herbs. Yum.
Zucchini noodles make a delicious low carb substitute for traditional pasta. It has a similar texture to a traditional noodle and they’re simple to make with the right tools. Sticking to a low carb diet is easier when you have carb substitutes to help kick your cravings.
You can make this recipe ahead of time and you can store it in the fridge for later. Simply heat the sauce in the microwave or on the stovetop when you’re ready to enjoy.
You can enjoy zucchini noodles cooked, or raw. If you prefer a firmer noodle, leave them raw. They have a bit of a crunch and are super juicy too. If you would rather a softer noodle, cooking them will soften them up.
If you’re looking for another deliciously low carb pasta alternative, try out our Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||12 minutes|
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 lb (3 medium-sized) zucchini, spiralized
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk, or more, as needed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and heated through, about 3-5 minutes; set aside.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the saucepan.
- Add garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk, thyme and oregano.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in half and half and Parmesan until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- If the mixture is too thick, add more milk as needed; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in zucchini and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.